Psalm 120


Psalm 120, written thousands of years ago (supposedly) by King David.  Of note, Meshech and Kedar are the Arab descendants of Ishmael, the forerunners to Islam. Interestingly, the great Jewish scholar Maimonides referenced this passage in his assessment of the Islamic power structures to which he was subject.  A parallel today would be the negotiations between the United States of America and Iran - Kerry talks peace, Khomeini talks war:

"I call on the LORD in my distress, and he answers me. 
        Save me, O LORD, from lying lips and from deceitful tongues.
What will he do to you, and what more besides, O deceitful tongue? 
        He will punish you with a warrior's sharp arrows, with burning coals of the broom tree.
Woe to me that I dwell in Meshech, that I live among the tents of Kedar! 
        Too long have I lived among those who hate peace.
I am a man of peace; but when I speak, they are for war."

The stewards of our diplomatic and military relations could learn a great deal from the immortal pen of a philosopher-king who dwelt in the misty dawn of recorded history.